The Institute was formed on the basis of the Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics and the Institute of Structures of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan founded in 1943 and 1947, respectively. Academician M.T.Urazbaev was the founder and the first director of the Institute. In 1959 the Institute was renamed into the Institute of Mechanics and in 1963 – into the Institute of Mechanics with Computational Center of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic. Beginning from 23rd of September, 1966 the Institute is functioning under its present title. In 1971 the Institute was named after its founder – Academician of Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan M.T.Urazbaev.